Skip to main content

O Gauge Duck the Great Western Engine Custom

 

Here he is! An O scale model of Duck! Making an O gauge Duck was always something I have wanted to do from the minute I began modeling in O scale. But, what I wanted to avoid was getting a super detailed O gauge pannier tank model and just painting it green. I wanted to make a Duck that still looked fanciful. And so comes my inspiration:



Hornby's OO scale model of Duck, released all the way back in the 80's. I have always liked this model over Bachmann's HO version. Bachmann's is absolutely fine, but I liked Hornby's nice mix of "realistic" but still looking like an engine from Thomas. A happy medium. 


I found an old O gauge shell of a pannier on eBay and it looked just great! I had to find a green paint that matched Hornby's version of Duck which proved very difficult. But once found, I got to spraying the body (after letting it soak in a liquid that dissolved any glue or rust from the shell). The chassis is a lima 0-6-0. 


And here are the two models side by side. The face eventually had to be repainted to a darker grey to match the OO version, but I think my challenge of trying to "upscale" the OO model proved to be successful! 

Duck was a model that I had made twice before in my past. And they were absolutely terrible. I'd hardly call them models. They were, to put it bluntly, insulting to the hobby of "modeling." Painting something does not make a good model. Painting is carefully and smoothing, keeping track of details, and understanding how the locomotive is supposed to look are all factors that are integral. It was such a rewarding feeling to finally make this model I had been wanting to do for a decade. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrow Gauge - not Narrow Minded!

  Let me tell you about one of the most confusing scales in the world. Every time I explain it to someone they just cannot wrap their heads around it! Let me introduce you to a scale called "O-16.5" scale." This scale was designed specifically for narrow gauge track and locos/rolling stock to fit in scale with O gauge locos/track/rolling stock. Take a look at this picture here. If you work in O Gauge and have a Lionel Thomas but wanted to make a custom narrow gauge engine that was in scale with Thomas, you would have to use O-16.5.  What you see here is a custom Skarloey model in O-16.5. Notice how he sits and runs on HO/OO track... yet his is significantly taller and wider than literally any HO/OO model train on the market. O GAUGE NARROW GAUGE MODELING IS NOT HO SCALE. It just so happens the rail width between O-16.5 and HO/OO scale is exactly the same. But if I wanted this picture to look more accurate and realistic, I would have to swap out Bachmann's black EZ Tr

Diesel Review

  And here he is: The Sodor Troublemaker.  Diesel is a model that was released in 2007/2008 and was discontinued sometime around the 2010's. Diesel was then reintroduced in 2014 with Lionchief controls and stayed in Lionel's catalogue for a few years before being silently discontinued again in 2016-2017. Luckily, in 2019, Diesel along with Thomas, Percy, and James were re-released (again) with Bluetooth Lionchief controls! What a wild ride! So why don't we get started? Diesel is perhaps one of the best models in Lionel’s “Thomas & Friends” range. This may not be saying much, but there is more to Diesel then meets the eye. Much like the other models, do not go on Google and look up a picture of this model, photo-shops and poor quality photos do not do these models any justice. When you physically see the Diesel model you notice a lot of unique details. For one, unlike many of the models in this range, Diesel cosmetically is near perfect. Proportionally, he looks great